In 1543 Jean GRIGNON was given the title of «Seigneir des Bouteilles», a highly sought-after title conferring lordship over the parish of Bignon.
The family, according to French historical records, also held lordship of «La Gillière à La Haye Fouassière», a hamlet on the outskirts of Nantes. The family coat of arms portrayed three golden roses. Jean Grignon, sire of Bouteille and Gillière, married Magdeleine Guibert and had two sons, Jacques and Jean, who later became advisors to the parliament of Brittany. Jacques was mayor of Nantes between 1573 – 1574.
In 1709, after a freezing winter which killed off many vines, monks from Dijon brought a hardier grape variety named «Melon de Bourgogne» which they planted throughout the region and would thus become the variety for making Muscadet.
In 1789, during the revolution, the castle was destroyed. The estate was rebuilt on the ruins, with its immense, traditional farm and wine cellar.
In 1924, a small group of winemakers from La Haye Fouassiere decided to draw up a charter of rules for the region’s winemaking.
Amongst these pioneers was Mr Verlinde, the owner/manager of Gillières who founded the county’s winemakers’ trade union.